Healthy Eating Tips for Summer Travelers
- If you only do one of these 10 tips, this is the one; make the effort to eat your daily requirement of vegetables. (Choose a fresh salad before your meal when possible.)
- Enjoy local flavors. Locals tend to eat healthy non-processed foods so step out of your comfort zone and try something new!
- Skip juice, energy drinks, and sodas. They are empty calories! Leave room for the good stuff!
- It is fine to enjoy a drink or two while you travel. Make sure to mix in some moderation.
- Keep yourself hydrated. When you are hydrated your body sends the right signals for hunger and thirst. Keep a water bottle on hand throughout the day.
- Don’t let yourself get hungry. It is the biggest cause of overeating so eat healthy snacks between meals.
- Make sure you include lean protein in your diet; fish, chicken and seafood. Nearly every culture has wonderful ways to cook lean protein, so you don’t have to sacrifice taste for calories.
- Swap rice for pasta when you can.
- Try to avoid the deep-fried menu options.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. If you fall off the plan, just pick it back up for the next meal.
Great Snack Ideas for traveling
It is easy to throw caution to the wind when you travel so pack some healthy snacks that won’t melt in the summer heat; nuts, granola bars, low fat popcorn, pretzels, veggie chips, oranges, apples or dried fruit and plenty of bottled water. Planning will save you a few pounds and dollars too!
GFWC-NC won the following awards at the 2019 GFWC Convention in Austin, Texas
Congratulations to the women of GFWC-NC!
- Outstanding Achievement in Legislation and Public Policy
- Outstanding Achievement in Juniorette Participation – GFWC A. L. Brown Juniorette Club
- Outstanding Achievement in Junior Membership Increase
- March of Dimes GFWC Top Fundraising Club 1st Place – GFWC South Brunswick Islands
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
- 2019 Millie Crom Award for Excellence in Junior State Leadership – LeAndra Ratliff
- Outstanding Achievement in Leadership
- Operation Smile Paula Cutler Award 2018
- UNICEF USA Certificate of Appreciation – The Woman’s Club of Clayton
- UNICEF USA Certificate of Appreciation – GFWC Fuquay Varina Woman’s Club
Awards will be presented at the GFWC-NC Fall Conference, November 9, 2019, in Burlington, NC. See you soon!