The goal for the 2020-2022 administration and Director of Junior’s project is to promote programs to help families and communities keep kids safe from injuries. Every year injuries kill thousands of children worldwide. With awareness and education, many of these deaths can be prevented. Here are some ideas for projects to help keep our children safe:
- Car seat checkup event where trained technicians show parents how to use and install their car seat correctly and ensure kids are in the right seat for their age and size. You can coordinate with your local Fire Department.
- Workshops in schools to bring attention to pedestrian safety issues and ensure that kids learn how to stay safe while walking to school or in their neighborhood.
- Bike rodeos to bring community members and children together to learn how to have fun while riding safely. You can coordinate with your local Police Department.
- Sports safety clinics to provide coaches, parents, young athletes and league organizers the knowledge and skills essential to preventing sports injuries and emergencies in young athletes.
- Classes for new and expecting moms to learn all the important things for keeping kids safe in their first year of life.
- Almost every county has a Safe Kids in North Carolina. You can reach out your county representative and see what is needed locally. Headquartered in Raleigh; Safe Kids NC 1202 Mail Service Center Raleigh, NC 27699 Phone (919) 218-7855
- You can coordinate with the Operation Medicine Drop Program (OMD) that is held twice a year
SPECIAL DATES and MONTHS TO REMEMBER
• Baby Safety Month is September
• Child Passenger Safety Week – 3rd Week of September
• National Child Passenger Safety Technician Month
• National Fireworks Safety Month – July
• National Seat Check Saturday – 4th Sat of September
• National PTA Child Safety & Protection Month -November
• National Water Safety Month – May
• Safe Toys & Gifts Month – December
• Youth Sports Safety Month – April