September 29 is World Heart Day
“My Heart, Your Heart Campaign” for 2019
What is World Heart Day? It is the biggest global awareness-raising campaign for CVD.
What is CVD? Maybe you’ve already guessed … cardiovascular disease.
Cardiovascular disease is the world’s number one killer today, causing over 17.9 million deaths per year. But it doesn’t need to be this way. By making just a few small changes in our lives, we can reduce our risk of heart disease and stroke, as well as improving our quality of life and setting a good example for the next generation.
On World Heart Day 2019 the goal is to create a global community of Heart Heroes … people from all walks of life who are acting now to live longer, better, heart-healthy lives by making a promise:
- A promise to our families to cook and eat healthier meals full of fruits and vegetables.
- A promise to our children to exercise more and help them to be more active, to say no to smoking and help our loved ones to break the habit.
- A promise as a healthcare professional to help patients give up smoking and lower their cholesterol.
- A promise as a policymaker to support policies that promote healthy hearts.
It’s about saying to yourself, to the people you care about, and to individuals all around the world: “What can I do right now to look after my heart … and your heart?”
This is a simple promise … for MY HEART, for YOUR HEART, for ALL OUR HEARTS.
Let’s all make that promise!
September is also National Cholesterol Education Month, which goes hand in hand with heart health. It is the perfect time to get your blood cholesterol checked and take steps to lower it if it is high.
More than 102 million American Adults (20 years or older) have total cholesterol levels at or above 200 mg/dL, which is above healthy levels. Levels at or about 240 mg/dL indicate a high risk of heart disease.
Learn more about screening, preventative care and cholesterol at www.cdc.gov.
District Meeting Schedule – Details are on the calendar (if available)
- District 1 – Oct. 5th Waynesville
- District 2 – Oct. 12th Wilkesboro
- District 3 – Oct. 13th Charlotte
- District 4 – Oct. 5th Burlington
- District 5 – Oct. 26th Youngsville
- District 6 – Sept. 28th Garner
- District 7 – Oct. 12th Lumberton
- District 8 – Oct. 5th Williamston
- District 9 – Oct. 5th Manteo