Healthy Grilled Vegetable Kebabs
Kebabs are easy, colorful, and tasty. In this recipe, the vegetables are marinated in a Dijon-herb mixture and then grilled. Use as a side dish or simply serve by itself over a bed of couscous or brown rice.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small yellow squash (sliced into 1/4’’ pieces)
- 1 Bermuda onion (cut into 8 pieces)
- 4 mushroom caps
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into 8 pieces)
- 1 Japanese eggplant (cut into 1/4” slices)
- Mix olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, basil, parsley, garlic, salt, and black pepper together in a small bowl. Place cut vegetables in a resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over vegetables, toss to coat, and seal bag. Place bag in the refrigerator and let sit for 1 to 3 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Place vegetables, alternating as you go, on skewers. Reserve marinade to brush vegetables as they cook.
- Place kebabs on grill and cover. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, brush with marinade every 2 to 3 minutes and rotate the skewers to cook the vegetables evenly.
- Remove kababs from grill when the vegetables are brown and tender.
July is National Grilling Month
Summer is the time for the best outdoor cooking, so it is no surprise July is National Grilling Month. Don’t let improperly prepared food spoil your summer. Make sure you follow these grilling tips.
- Wash your hands. Use hand sanitizer when clean water isn’t readily available.
- Keep food cold until you are ready to place it on the grill. Bacteria can grow on food that is allowed to sit out too long.
- Don’t mix raw and cooked foods. Keep raw and cooked foods on separate cutting boards and plates. Once cooked, use a clean dish for plating your final masterpiece. (Bacteria from a raw food plate can contaminate quickly.)
- Keep hot food warm to at least 140 degrees Fahrenheit until it is ready to be placed in a cooler with ice or refrigerator.
- For salads and cold foods, keep them chilled on ice.
The best ways to observe National Grilling Month
Invite friends over and cook something delicious on the grill. Make sure to have cold beverages on hand so you stay hydrated and play upbeat music and games for fun. Share on social media use: #NationalGrillingMonth.