By supporting existing activities, working with various established programs, and initiating educational opportunities for club members and local citizens, the goal of the GFWC Signature Program: Domestic Violence Awareness and Prevention is to increase awareness and prevention of the widespread occurrence of domestic abuse in communities across the nation.
The Signature Program encourages projects to benefit the following areas:
- Domestic Violence Awareness
- Domestic Violence Shelters and Victims
- Step Up the Comfort
- Step Into the Future
- Teen Dating Violence Awareness
- Elder Abuse Awareness
- Tie a Purple Ribbon – Members tied deep purple ribbons with a large bow around 42 crepe myrtle trees in the median in a highly visible, heavily trafficked road. In order to make the passersby aware of Domestic Violence Prevention Month, the club designed and purchased signs captioned “Recognize, Report, Stop Domestic Violence” and listed the club, along with their logo, as sponsors.
- Holiday Scavenger Hunt – hold a scavenger hunt for items needed by a local shelter and Christmas gifts for the shelter’s residents at a local mall. Give each team a set dollar amount and a list of items needed. Teams have an hour to purchase the items within budget. Purchases are judged and prizes are given to the team that spends the least amount of money, but is able to fulfill their list.
GFWC Signature Project Partner: Prevent Child Abuse America
Prevent Child Abuse North Carolina (PCANC) is the only statewide organization dedicated to the prevention of child abuse and neglect. Through investment in innovative programs proven to prevent child maltreatment before it occurs, PCANC works with North Carolina’s communities to help build safe, stable, nurturing, and healthy relationships for all children.